View from Augspurger Mountain Trail. (photographer: Joe Urmos)
Friends of the Columbia Gorge recommends you carry the following 14 essential items every time you are hiking in the Gorge. Weather changes quickly here and it can be very windy because of the dramatic landscape. The more prepared you are, the better the experience you’ll have on the trail.
Don't head out to the Gorge without these items:
- Map – we recommend the National Geographic Columbia River Gorge trails map
- Extra clothing including rain and wind gear because it’s the Gorge!
- Extra food and water
- First-aid kit
- Headlamp or flashlight with extra batteries
- Matches and fire starter
- Knife or multipurpose tool
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Water filter or water purifying tablets
- Emergency blanket
- Printed hike description.
- Trash bag for “packing it in and packing it out!”
Optional but recommended items include:
- Hiking poles
- Tecnu (poison oak wash)
- Wildflowers of the Columbia Gorge field guide
- Dog leash and waste bags if taking your four-legged hiking partner