Current Job Opportunities at Friends
Development and Database CoordinatorHours: 40 hours per week
Location: Portland, OR
Supervisor: Development Manager
Salary: $21 - $22 hourly
Start Date: March, 2022
Friends of the Columbia Gorge was founded in 1980 and has over 6,000 members in Oregon, Washington, and beyond dedicated to preserving, protecting, and stewarding the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. With offices in Portland and Hood River, Oregon and Washougal, Washington, the organization uses an array of tools (advocacy, litigation, land acquisition, and public education) to ensure the Columbia Gorge remains a wondrous and vibrant place. In 2005, Friends launched the Friends of the Columbia Gorge Land Trust, a 509(a)(3) support organization to acquire spectacular landscapes within the Columbia Gorge.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Development and Database Coordinator serves as the caretaker of Friends’ database (Salesforce), and the additional integrated software programs. The position maintains and runs reports from database records of more than 20,000 members and non-members to support fundraising campaigns and organization-wide needs. The Coordinator provides support for events, mailings, appeals, and organization-wide campaigns. This position directly supports the Director of Philanthropy in tandem with the Development Manager, and will work closely with the Finance Director, Public Engagement, and Conservation staff to maintain accurate database records. Additionally, this position provides administrative support to the Board of Directors and associated committees as well as contributing to defining technology needs for Friends of the Columbia Gorge.
Gift processing (25%):
- Responsible for gift processing; data entry of gifts, recording pledges, reviewing donor accounts for accuracy, and appropriate relationship recording.
- Works with internal staff to identify earmarked donations.
- Responsible for timely preparation and mailing of donor acknowledgments, memorial/tribute letters, correspondence, thank you notes, and pledge statements.
- Maintains files related to gift process acknowledgement.
- Maintains the accuracy of database including de-duplicating and troubleshooting database issues.
- Works with staff to support the reconciliation process between the departments.
- Uses database to track and manage donor engagement, gifts & pledges, sponsorships, corporate/foundation grant processes, and event participation.
- Assist with integration of various platforms and participate in technology planning and decision making.
- Work to promote best practices for confidentiality, accuracy, and usability of the database. Help create documentation and other training resources.
- Utilize and train volunteers to assist in office and event work.
- Serve as organizational point person to cross-train staff on basic functions of Salesforce, Mailchimp, Eventbrite, and other technology platforms.
- Works with philanthropy team to produce reports, mailing and donor lists.
- Assists in prospect research and wealth screening to assist in building donor briefings on donor giving priorities and background.
- Works with public engagement team to pull lists for donor stewardship via our quarterly newsletter and mailing lists.
- Consolidate, track, and analyze donor data across all fundraising efforts to inform organizational strategies.
- Maintains database files of grant application, report, and award materials.
- Assists in monitoring grant report deadlines and payment schedules.
- Using donor analytics, provide data-based input to inform organizational fundraising strategies.
- Support planning utilizing reporting and analysis of past giving trends.
- Create systems for ongoing tracking of metrics-based fundraising goals and develop monthly reports to monitor progress.
- Assist Finance Director with monthly, quarterly, and annual reconciliation of all donations.
- Provide direct support to the Director of Philanthropy and the philanthropy team.
- Assists in maintaining and creating Standard Operating Procedures.
- Responds to inquiries providing exemplary customer service.
- Answer main phone and direct to appropriate staff.
- Provide support for Friends’ Board of Directors and Board Affairs/DEI Committee. Assist executive director in coordinating board and committee meetings, prepare and keep meeting minutes and track committee logistics.
- Supports Friends’ planned giving program as directed by the Director of Philanthropy. This includes coordinating mailings, pulling reports, and creating/maintaining reporting dashboards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Extensive experience with Salesforce
- Knowledge of non-profit organizations and/or fundraising
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in an administrative position
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Mailchimp, Apsona, Zapier, Eventbrite, and Google Suite
- Knowledge of community-centric fundraising principles
- Affinity for technology and computers
- Attention to detail
- Good problem-solving skills
- Analytic thinker who identifies efficiencies, areas for improvement, and data trends
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to function independently and as a member of a team
- Good people skills
- Ability to prioritize work and maintain flexibility
- Sensitivity to confidential material
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Ability to lift boxes and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds
- Ability to work some non-standard hours including nights and weekends
Salary range is $21 - $22 hourly commensurate with experience and education. A six-month salary increase with successful onboarding. Excellent benefits include generous vacation time and holidays, generous health insurance for employee and dependents along with an employer matched retirement plan.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE (DEIJ) WORK AND ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE
Bringing together a broad and diverse coalition of people who share a common love for the Columbia Gorge is vital to Friends' long-term success. The Gorge will be a healthier, more vibrant place when a diverse and inclusive collection of advocates, stewards, and volunteers are at the table.
Friends has included a new Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice process as part of one of three overarching goals in its 2018-21 strategic plan. Every department and individual are expected to understand and work to integrate relevant components of this plan into their work.
All staff members are expected to commit to personal growth and learning, taking initiative to expand your understanding of DEIJ and related principles, issues, and practice and how they apply to our work.
Friends is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected status in accordance with local, state and federal law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoffs, recalls, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Friends of Columbia Gorge are requiring staff to be vaccinated. If you need a medical or religious accommodation please speak with Friends finance director. All new hires will be given six (6) weeks to be fully vaccinated from start date. Full policy available upon request.
Friends is currently working a hybrid schedule. This position does require coming to the office at least twice weekly to collect mail, process the deposit, and run thank you letters.
Full time with in the typical 9:00 – 5:00 office hours. Other hours would include earlier morning, evening, or weekend work for events or meetings. Work environment includes desk work with a sit/stand option, using a computer extensively, answering phone, picking up or delivering to post office and bank, opens and distributes mail, handles gift processing and can lift up to 30 lbs. on occasion.
Nonprofit Professionals Now is pleased to be working with the Friends of the Columbia Gorge on this opportunity.
To apply, please submit a resume and statement of interest by the deadline: February 3, 2022.
Development and Database Coordinator, Friends of Columbia Gorge @ Nonprofit Professionals Now (hiringthing.com)
About Friends of the Columbia Gorge
Ensuring the Gorge remains a vibrant, living place—wondrous, wild, and open to all—is at the core of what we do. Friends of the Columbia Gorge works to protect, preserve, and steward the Columbia Gorge for future generations.
We are the only conservation organization entirely dedicated to protecting and enhancing the scenic, natural, cultural, and recreational resources of the Columbia Gorge. For over four decades, we have successfully advocated to protect the Gorge from irresponsible development, purchased scenic and sensitive lands for long-term preservation, and worked with community partners to foster a larger culture of Gorge stewardship by connecting thousands of students and volunteers to the Gorge’s wonders.