Hours: 32-40 hours per week
Location: Portland, OR
Pay: $14.50-$16.50 hourly
Supervisor: Development Director
BackgroundFriends of the Columbia Gorge is a 37-year old organization with over 7,000 members in Oregon and Washington dedicated to preserving and enhancing the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. With a staff of 19 employees and offices in Portland and Hood River, OR and Washougal, WA, the organization uses an array of tools (outreach, advocacy, litigation and land acquisition) to ensure the Columbia Gorge remains wild and beautiful. In 2005, Friends of the Columbia Gorge launched the Friends of the Columbia Gorge Land Trust, a 509(a)(3) support organization to acquire spectacular landscapes within the Columbia Gorge.
Founded in 1980, Friends of the Columbia Gorge has over 7,000 members in Oregon, Washington and beyond, a staff of nineteen employees and offices in Portland and Hood River, OR and Washougal, WA. Friends is considered one of the best conservation non-profit organizations to work for in the Pacific Northwest and our average tenure per employee is over seven years. Staff appreciates the compelling mission as well as generous vacation time, holidays, health insurance coverage (98% of individual benefit covered and 50% coverage for spouses and dependents), short and long-term disability insurance and an employer-contributed retirement plan. The organization conducts day-long quarterly outings to Gorge sites to learn, enjoy and recharge. Friends of the Columbia Gorge is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Summary of PositionThe Development Assistant (DA) is primarily responsible for gift processing and maintenance of the donor database. The DA maintains database records of more than 40,000 members and non-members and is able to create complex reports to support fundraising campaigns. The DA also provides support for events, mailings, and other appeals.
The DA supports the Development Director, Membership Coordinator, and Major Gifts Officer and works closely with the Finance Director, Outreach Manager, and Conservation Organizer to maintain accurate database records.
- Process all gifts that arrive by mail, online, stock transfer, etc. Enter donations into the database and reconcile with accounting
- Generate timely and accurate acknowledgement letters
- Maintain database records including individuals, foundations, businesses, media, and government contacts, continually updating database records so they are accurate
- Support events by maintaining RSVP lists, managing registration of guests, preparing nametags and other duties as assigned
- Manage renewal mailings by printing letters and coordinating volunteers to stuff envelopes
- Create database reports as needed to assist development team and others
- Assist with integration of various platforms with the database, and participate in technology planning and decision making as needed to help make sure systems meet fundraising needs
- Work with staff to promote best practices for confidentiality, accuracy, and usability of the database. Help create documentation and other training resources
- Utilize and train volunteers where possible to assist in office and event work
- Answer main phone line and direct to appropriate staff. Sort and distribute company mail. Manage communication via email@example.com by forwarding to appropriate staff
- Support board and staff in donor cultivation activities and record activities in the database
- Affinity for technology and computers
- Attention to detail
- Good problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to function independently and as a member of a team
- Good people skills
- Ability to prioritize work and maintain flexibility
- Sensitivity to confidential material
- Professional demeanor
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Ability to lift boxes and equipment weighing up to 30 pounds
- Ability to work additional hours to participate in meetings and events (occasionally)
Education and Experience
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM database
- Experience in an administrative position
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of fundraising principles a plus
- College education preferred
Send cover letter and resume to DEVjob@gorgefriends.org with “Development Assistant” in the subject head. No phone calls please. The position closes on Dec. 15, 2017.
Friends of the Columbia Gorge is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.