Stewardship volunteers working at the Balfour-Klickitat Loop Trail removing invasive plants (Photographer: Mika Barrett)
Stewardship Group Volunteer OpportunitiesVolunteering as a group through a stewardship work party is a great way to bond, enjoy being outside, learn more about the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, and feel rewarded at the end of the day for giving back to this national treasure.
Friends of the Columbia Gorge is incredibly grateful for your interest in volunteering with our stewardship program. Please read through the information below to answer frequently asked questions.
How We Work With GroupsFor groups of 2-10 people: Go ahead and self-register for a work party listed online. Please proceed to our stewardship work party schedule to browse upcoming work parties. During the registration process, you will be given the option to add additional people to your group. Please note, our stewardship schedule is constantly being updated as new events are added. To ensure you receive notifications of new events, please sign up here.
For groups of larger than 10 people: An event management fee of $40/person (non-profits and community-based organizations may inquire about a reduced rate) and advanced notice of two months are required to ensure a quality volunteer experience. Customized group requests are being scheduled for late summer and early fall.
- The $40/person management fee ensures a turn-key experience, which covers the cost to plan, coordinate, and implement a customized work party. All tools, training, and on-site logistics are provided.
- We need at least two months advance notice to consider your request.
- Though we typically are unable to accommodate groups larger than 30, we may consider dividing your group up and offering multiple smaller work parties.
- The fee is determined by the number of expected attendees.
- A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the total fee is due once the work party agreement has been confirmed.
- Payment is due within 30 days following the work party.
How to Submit a Stewardship Group Work Party Request1. Complete this Group Work Party Request form to share details regarding your unique needs.
2. Friends of the Columbia Gorge’s Stewardship Volunteer Coordinator will be in contact with you once the form is submitted. They will reach out to discuss options based on the number of volunteers, desired dates and locations of where you would like to work. Once the date and location are finalized, it’s time to get volunteers signed up.
3. Friends of the Columbia Gorge will create an agenda for your group's day of service and forward you a link to a special group webpage for you to register the individual members of your group. We require that you provide the names and email addresses for everyone in your group. This ensures that everyone receives important safety information regarding the work party.