- Pre-registration is required
- Youth volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Each youth volunteer must register or be registered by parent or guardian.
- Read our Liability Waiver here. You will be asked to check a box acknowledging you read waiver during registration.
- Read our COVID-19 Event FAQ here. Friends is asking volunteers to provide proof of full vaccination. After you register, you will be asked to email a photo of your vaccination card or bring photo or physical card to event.
Center for Ecodynamic Restoration, U.S. Forest Service, and Friends of the Columbia Gorge have been partnering to restore Oregon white oak habitat and meadow pollinator habitat here at Sams Walker since 2018. The next phase will be seeding the meadows with wildflowers this fall, but first we need help clearing the ground of dead grasses to make room for the seed! Grab your leaf rake or borrow ours and come learn about and be a part of these exciting efforts!
Physical work includes walking and raking in a flat dirt field. The project site is about a .25 walk from the parking lot through a flat grassy field.
There is pit toilet by the parking area.
What we provide:
- Work gloves (you are also welcome to bring your own)
- Rakes- we have a limited supply so if you have one please bring if willing
- Energy bars
What you should bring:
- Water and snacks
- Leaf rake if you have one (we will have a few to borrow)
- Sun protection (our work area has no shade, but our break areas will)
- A pack to carry your personal gear
- Vax card photo
- Face mask and personal hand sanitizer
What to Wear:
- Boots or sturdy sneakers
- Long durable pants and long-sleeved shirt
- Dress for weather: extra layers of clothing in case of wet or cold weather
- 9:00 a.m. - Check in, introductions and safety check in
- 9:15 a.m. - Hike to project site,
- 9:30 a.m. - Project orientation and Rake-a-Thon begins!
- We'll take breaks and snack as needed
- 11:30- wrap up and head back to parking area
- There are a few picnic tables on site if you'd like to stay and lunch
A confirmation email with directions will be sent out 3-5 days before the event.
Questions? Please contact Sarah Skelly at email@example.com or 503-501-6351.