Angel's Rest Invasive Plant Removal, OR
Saturday, December 21, 2019
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Join Friends Stewardship Volunteer Coordinator Mika Barrett at the Angel's Rest trail to remove invasive plants. Together, we will help preserve the natural beauty and biodiversity of this trail affected by the 2017 Eagle Creek fire.
Volunteers will be working along the first 1/2 mile of the trail, and contribute to a larger restoration project that was started in spring 2018. We are working to remove an infestation of herb Robert
. Herb Robert poses a threat to the forest understory and to plant diversity. It is capable of growing under a full, closed canopy and especially likes disturbed soils. We are finding an abundance of this species on some of the Eagle Creek fire-affected trails. To mitigate the spread of this plant, stewardship volunteers removed 100+ lbs of herb Robert in the past couple of years. Now, volunteers will help hand-pull this plant to preserve this beautiful trail in the Gorge. No experience necessary and all tools will be provided.
The work involves weeding, sitting, standing, and bending down. We will hike less than 1/2 miles on a relatively flat portion of the trail.
Poison oak and walking on uneven terrain.
We appreciate our volunteers! As a thank you, volunteers are gifted with a free Friends of the Columbia Gorge tech-tee after completing 3 stewardship work parties. For those who have gone above and beyond for the Gorge, volunteers earn a NW Forest Pass after completing 6 stewardship work parties with the U.S. Forest Service and Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.
What to Bring
- Lunch and plenty of water
- Rain jacket and pants
- Extra warm clothing in case of wet or cold weather
- A pack to carry your personal gear
- A smile and the excitement to learn new skills and meet great people!
(Gloves and tools provided)
- 10:00 a.m. Be ready to sign in and meet the crew
- 10:15 a.m. Gather for a safety briefing and restoration demo
- 10:30 a.m. Restoration project begins
- 12 Noon. Lunch break
- 12:30 a.m. Restoration project continues
- 2:00 p.m. Work party concludes
*Registration is a two-step process*
- Click "+Add" to complete a separate ticket for each person in your party.
- On 2nd page, click the bubble next to the main contact’s name (to autofill the information). This person will receive the confirmation email.