Oregon State Parks Winter Mulching, OR
Friday, November 8, 2019
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 a.m.
Join Friends' Stewardship Volunteer Coordinator Mika Barrett and Oregon State Parks for a winter mulching party!
Volunteers will spend the day at several Oregon State Park locations to mulch plants as we gear up for the winter season. Why mulch? Mulch protects plants roots during the winter and helps regulate soil temperature.
We will begin the day by meeting at Rooster Rock State Park, and caravan to a variety of sites where volunteers planted native trees and shrubs this past winter. Some of the mulching sites include: Gorge #400 Trail by McCord Creek, Tooth Rock Trailhead, Ainsworth Campground, and Rooster Rock State Park.
No experience is necessary and all tools will be provided. Get ready to have fun!
lifting/shoveling buckets of mulch and walking on uneven terrain.
We appreciate our volunteers! As a thank you, volunteers are gifted with a free Friends of the Columbia Gorge tech-tee after completing 3 stewardship work parties. For those who have gone above and beyond for the Gorge, volunteers earn a NW Forest Pass after completing 6 stewardship work parties with the U.S. Forest Service.
What to Bring:
- Lunch and plenty of water
- Extra layers of clothing in case of wet or cold weather
- A pack to carry your personal gear
- A smile and the excitement to learn new skills and meet great people!
(Gloves and tools provided)
- 10:00 a.m. - Be ready to sign in and meet the crew
- 10:15 a.m. - Gather for a safety briefing and caravan to mulching sites
- 10:30 a.m. - Mulching party begins
- 12:00 noon. - Lunch Break
- 12:30 p.m. - Mulching party continues
- 2:00 p.m. - Work party concludes and caravan back to Rooster Rock State Park
*Registration is a two-step process*
- Click "+Add" to complete a separate ticket for each person in your party.
- On 2nd page, click the bubble next to the main contact’s name (to autofill the information). This person will receive the confirmation email.