National Public Lands Day Stewardship Day Celebration at Beacon Rock State Park, WA
Saturday, September 28, 20199:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Join Friends of the Columbia Gorge on National Public Lands Day, one of the largest volunteer days of the year across the nation. Celebrate your love for our public lands by giving back to the Columbia Gorge in the morning and enjoying a free lunch provided by REI in the afternoon!
This is a large, collaborative event organized in partnership with REI, Oregon & Washington State Parks, USDA Forest Service and some of our Gorge trail partners - including Trailkeepers of Oregon, Pacific Crest Trail Association, Washington Trails Association, Oregon Equestrian Trails, Cape Horn Conservancy, and Friends of Sandy River Delta.
Friends of the Columbia Gorge volunteers will work at Beacon Rock State Park's Doetsch day-use area to help cut down the invasive plant, Himalayan blackberry. The blackberry is encroaching upon the native Doug fir and Oregon white oak trees around the trail. Let's work together to free the trees! The Doetsch day-use area also has excellent views of the Columbia Gorge and Beacon Rock.
Physical Demands: The work involves chopping plants, sitting, standing, and bending down.
No experience necessary and all tools will be provided.
Washington State Parks appreciate their volunteers! After volunteering for a total of 24 hours with WA State Parks , you are rewarded with an Annual WA State Discover Park Pass!
What to Bring:
- Personal snacks and plenty of water
- Thick pants and long sleeve shirt (to avoid getting snagged by blackberries, jeans work great)
- Extra layers of clothing in case of wet or cold weather
- A pack to carry your personal gear
- A smile and the excitement to learn new skills and meet great people!
We will provide gloves and all necessary tools.
- 9:00 a.m. Be ready to sign in and meet the crew
- 9:15 a.m. Gather for a safety briefing and restoration demo
- 9:30 a.m. Restoration project begins
- 1:00 p.m. Restoration project concludes
(Stick around for a free lunch afterwards to celebrate National Public Lands Day!)
*Registration is a two-step process*
- Click "+Add" to complete a separate ticket for each person in your party.
- On 2nd page, click the bubble next to the main contact’s name (to autofill the information). This person will receive the confirmation email.