Collins Turtle Pond Invasive Plant Removal
Stewardship volunteer during a stewardship work party at the Collins Pond, WA. (Photographer: Mika Barrett)
Thursday, April 11, 2019
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Collins Pond, WA
Add to calendar
Join Friends' stewardship volunteer coordinator Mika Barrett and the U.S. Forest Service at Collins pond, near Dog Mountain, a place called home for the endemic western pond turtle.
Volunteers will help contribute to a larger restoration project that was started in spring 2018 to remove an infestation of Scotch broom. Scotch broom can quickly out-compete native vegetation, displace wildlife, and is highly flammable. This infestation surrounds the bank where the turtles spawn in May. Volunteers will help hand-pull the plants to mitigate the spread of Scotch broom and preserve wildlife habitat. Last year, the turtles were basking in the sun as we worked nearby!
We appreciate our volunteers! As a thank you, volunteers are gifted with a free Friends of the Columbia Gorge tech-tee after completing 3 stewardship work parties. For those who have gone above and beyond for the Gorge, volunteers earn a NW Forest Pass after completing 6 stewardship work parties with the U.S. Forest Service.
No experience is necessary and tools will be provided. Please come dressed for the weather and wearing sturdy, closed-toe shoes and get ready to have fun!
Hazards: Poison oak, hilly terrain.
What to Bring:
- Lunch and plenty of water
- Rain jacket and pants
- Extra warm clothing in case of wet or cold weather
- A pack to carry your personal gear
- A smile and the excitement to learn new skills and meet great people!
(Gloves and tools provided)
- 10:00 a.m. - Be ready to sign in and meet the crew
- 10:15 a.m. - Gather for a safety briefing and plant removal demo
- 10:30 a.m. - Restoration project
- 12:00 p.m. - Lunch Break
- 12:30 p.m. - Restoration project
- 2:00 p.m. - Work party concludes
*Registration is a two-step process*
- Click "+Add" to complete a separate ticket for each person in your party.
- On 2nd page, click the bubble next to the main contact’s name (to autofill the information). This person will receive the confirmation email.