Hike Leaders & ShepherdsFriends’ volunteer hike leaders and shepherds make our hike program possible. They enjoy sharing their knowledge, passion, and stewardship ethic for the Gorge on every hike they lead. Read about some of our most involved volunteers and all that they do. We are lucky to have friends like these!
How to Become a Hike Leader or Shepherd
- Submit a completed Volunteer Interest Survey to let us know more about your interests and experiences (new volunteers only);
- Attend at least two Friends outings as a participant. View current schedule at gorgefriends.org/hikes;
- Attend a Hike Leader & Shepherd Training at least every three years, offered each spring and fall;
- Read our Hike Leader & Shepherd Manual entirely, then sign an Acknowledgement Agreement;
- Co-shepherd (shadow) at least one outing;
- Submit evidence of current CPR and First Aid certifications (required). Alternatively, we'll accept Wilderness First Aid certification in place of basic First Aid, though this is not required.
- After three outings in role as leader or shepherd, Friends will reimburse your class fee with receipt, up to $60 (minimum time between reimbursement is two years).
Questions? Contact Outdoor Programs Coordinator Kate Lindberg:
Hike Leader & Shepherd Documents